It's a Busy Life

It's a Busy Life

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Living in Paris, I enter the subway, known as the Metro, on a regular basis. When I first moved here I vowed to find ways to avoid going into any of the numerous gateways to Paris' underground system of trains. Subways have always reminded me of the ant farms some kids had when I was younger, a series of tunnels with lines of creatures moving from one place to another. I really detested the idea of joining the swarms of people running and crammed into the train cars that carry them to unknown destinations. But low and behold, the time constraints of waiting for a bus, transferring several times and then additional walking to reach a place, have helped me to form a new attitude about "going on the metro". So, every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, plus many other times during any given week, I follow others entering from every direction. It's quite liberating to live without a car, especially in a place where traffic is always jammed, vehicles disregard the lines drawn on the pavement that separate lanes, everyone is in a hurry, round-a-bouts are as common as traffic lights, and there are motorcycles constantly squeezing between lanes to get a head of the line. Vive le metro de Paris!!!  http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_23590/plans-metro/

No comments:

Post a Comment