It's a Busy Life

It's a Busy Life

Friday, January 15, 2010

French class, Haiti

I just finished  lunch after having attended my 2-hour class this morning.  My teacher, Caroline, is quite a hoot.  She's middle-aged, like me : > ) but much younger.  She has a great head of very curly hair that's blonde with white roots, at times. Caroline is a very smart, dynamic teacher who speaks very rapidly, as do all the French, in my opinion.  But, she also has a wonderful sense of humor that helps us to stay tuned-in when there's little hope for complete understanding.  I'm in the level 3 class offered through the government of Paris.  The city offers French classes for immigrants at a much reduced price from the commercial establishments like L'Alliance Française.  This is my second semester there and I also think the system and teachers are much better than the other.  
As part of my own regime to learn the language, I listen to French talk-radio as often as I can.  Over the past 2 days, I've been listening to non-stop information about the disaster in Haiti.  How terrible to think of so many people trapped in that hopeless situation.  Paris is the center for Medicin Sans Frontière, Doctors Without Borders, and is one of the places people can donate to help get medicine and help to people there.  That website is http://www.msf.org/ in case anyone still hasn't donated or is not sure where to do that.  The French, of course, have a particular relationship and concern for the people there. Listening to news here in French, I can sense that acute concern.  

No comments:

Post a Comment