It's a Busy Life

It's a Busy Life

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Visiting the doctor

On the same topic of the doctor, I had to go in to my doctor yesterday to pick up a prescription for a medicine I take regularly.  She had told me to come in at 11AM so I arrived about 5 minutes early.  I entered the outer door and got to the next door at the end of the hallway where I had to push a button to be admitted.   After pushing it several times and waiting in between, I decided to call her to see what the problem was.  No answer so I left a message in French for her to call me back on my cell.  Instead of waiting in the dark hallway, I went to the adjacent cafe--there's always one of two--where I ordered a coffee, it's really an expresso, and a croissant.  I called her office a couple more times, to no avail, so I wrote a message on the backside of the bill explaining everything I had done to be there and to please call me to let me know when I could come again.  My intention was to drop it in her mailbox, which I had forgotten was behind the security door that I could not enter.  Anyway, after about 30 minutes sipping and munching, I went back into the building to try the buzzer one last time and low and behold, she buzzed me in.  So, I walked up the flight of stairs and entered her office.  It's a very stark and quiet entry with a door in front down the short hallway, the waiting room.  It only took a couple of minutes before Dr. Pradelle opened the door and asked me to come in.  She's very young, like she could be my daughter, and was wearing a pair of jeans with a sweater and boots.  I told her my saga, she speaks English so that makes it easy to tell such a long tale, and she said, "Oh I was down the hallway (meaning she was in the bathroom) and the battery on my phone is out."  Such is life in France--be on time, wait, have a coffee and croissant, and come back later...everything will be just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment